Thursday, May 7

How to Translate What You Do Into What’s In It For Others


By Liz Lynch of Smart Networking http://networkingexcellence.com/

I was reading Dan Schawbel's Personal Branding blog earlier today http://danschawbel.com/ and happened upon a really good article by Liz Lynch. I left some comments on the blog which I also posted here, below. Please visit Dan's blog and the read Liz's article.

Comment to Liz Lynch's post: I have often counseled saying “people don’t give a hoot about what YOU want or what YOU have done or where YOU have been unless it relates DIRECTLY to them. That is (also) to say, people hire for purely selfish reasons: "What are you (candidate) going to do for ME and MY quality of life?”

I often see objectives on resumes that read something like this:

Looking for a growth opportunity in a growth organization that will utilize my skills and experience etc. Hey ... WHO CARES?! Think about it: If you left that objective off the resume is it then implied that you're interested possibly in a “non-growth situation and non-growth organization that cannot utilize any of your skills or experience"? Consequently, you have said nothing, right?

Clearly, the right objective or relevant opening statement on the phone or in a letter of introduction can set down the foundation for what it is you really CAN do FOR the organization and thus better ensure you capture their interest. Do your research. Find out what’s on their plate and direct your objective and subsequently your “elevator speech” et al to matters that matter (relevancy).

People hire for purely selfish reasons! … and it’s a good thing they do. If it’s for reasons that are good for them and they are in a hiring capacity, they are reasons that are good for the organization, right? I mean, who would want to hire the wrong people; more over, who would want to work for an organization that hires the wrong people?

Just some thoughts…Hope they help

YT,
RT

1 comment:

  1. RT,

    Great article! Thank you for the additional insight.

    I guess we are all selfish. If you are a believer in evolution like I am you could say that we would not be walking upright if we were not selfish. Surival of the fittest and all that.

    I found Liz's article very telling and appreciate you posting the link. Your comment is very straightforward. I like that about your postings in general. I hope you will keep it up. I know I can always come to this site and count on finding something from you or a link to someone else that you provided that helps me in my search and in my life too!

    Much thanks,

    Liz (not the author)

    ReplyDelete